Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Pic of the Day: Fete de la Musique

I'm two days past due for this entry! June 21st - very important date for many reasons folks. Believe it or not, I know 6 people with birthdays on June 21st (my mother included) but wait...its also the summer solstice, but wait! Its also...Fête de la Musique! Wow! This great concept was started in 1976 by American musician Joel Cohan and was later adopted by France Musique, a French radio station (thanks Wikipedia). The celebration only comes around once a year on 06-21 and carries on into the night with amateur musicians playing their hearts out on the streets of cities across the globe!

I spent 06-21-2008 in Nice, France and experienced my first Fête de la Musique. The streets were absolutely packed with people until the wee hours of the night with drums, guitars, volcalists and you-name-its on the street corners. What a great experience!

(Fete de la Musique, June 2008, Heather A.)

No comments:

Post a Comment